Upgrade of Thermal Insulation and Cladding to Bay Windows

Client: Ipswich Borough Council
Measures: External Wall Insulation
Location: Ipswich
Date: April 2017 – September 2018
Value: £1.3m

The Challenge

In January 2017, Cornerstone was awarded a contract to remove existing cladding on Ipswich Borough Council’s stock of two and three storey blocks of flats with bay windows, and replace this with new high performance insulation.  

The aim of the works was to improve the thermal efficiency of the bay windows, and to reduce future maintenance requirements.  

The contract involved stripping existing clay tiles, timber and panel cladding (some of which was asbestos containing) from the bay windows and then installing a cement particle board and SPS Envirowall EWI system with silicone top coat.  The flat roofs of the bay windows were also insulated at the same time.  

Our Solution

Cornerstone commenced works in April 2017, in accordance with a demanding programme of works.  Each property was completed in ten days, including the initial erection and post-works removal of scaffolding and all external wall insulation and roofing works.  

Our dedicated Site Manager closely monitored our progress against the programme of works, carefully coordinating our suppliers and specialist subcontractors, including the client appointed asbestos removal contractor, to ensure we remained on schedule.  

In total, Cornerstone insulated bay window areas on more than 800 blocks of flats across the town of Ipswich, completing the last installation in September 2018.  

The Result

The works were completed on schedule and significantly improved both the thermal efficiency of the properties as well as their aesthetic.

In total, 128 tenants returned satisfaction forms, which asked them if they were ‘very satisfied’, ‘satisfied’ or ‘not satisfied’ with our performance across several categories, including operative presentation, work site tidiness and communications, and overall satisfaction with our service.  Of the 128 responses received, 58.6% were ‘very satisfied’ and 39.8% ‘satisfied – a total satisfaction rate of 98.4%.  

Comments received from tenants included: ‘very polite’, ‘Couldn’t have done anything better’ and ‘workmen friendly and happy to converse on work taking place’.

A total of 98.4% of residents were satisfied with our work

‘Cornerstone are a very professional organisation, who have over the past 18 months undertaken insulation works on behalf of Ipswich Borough Council. The works were completed to a very high standard, we received great customer satisfaction feedback and was completed within budget.’

– Lee Woods, Senior Surveyor – Maintenance and Contracts

Registered Office: Cornerstone (East Anglia) Limited, Unit 2-4, Fuller Road, Harleston, Norfolk, IP20 9EA
Registered No: 05117129. Registered in England and Wales